Thursday 28 November 2013

Hannah goes... academia

I think it's about time I tell you a little more about Newcastle University, how things are done here and how that affects my everyday student life.
 
Armstrong Building, photo taken by my friend Chia-Ling
 
First of all, I should tell you a bit about my classes. This semester I’m taking 5 modules, 2 from my main programme (CCC) and 3 from my pathway (IBM). For those of you who haven't read it before or who forgot, CCC stands for Cross-Cultural Communication and IBM/IM for International Business Management.

The most important module I'm taking is Methods of CCC Research. It's the only one I will have across both semesters, because it’s connected to my research portfolio, which will include my final works for the Master's degree. The module consists of one 2hr lecture/seminar (a bit of both really) plus 1hr seminar per week which only started last week, but will continue next semester.

outside the King George VI building
The other module for my main programme is Language & Cross-Cultural Communication, which consists of one 2hr lecture and a 1hr tutorial for discussions.

For my pathway, I’m taking Principles of Marketing, for which I have a 1hr lecture twice a week and a 1hr seminar once a week.

Business School lecture theatre
Business School lecture theatre
Then there is The International Business Environment. This is one 2hr lecture every week, except for 2 weeks within the semester, where we have a 2hr seminar instead.

And finally, I chose Managing Across Cultures, which is the only module I could choose. All the others are compulsory modules. This module includes a 2hr lecture per week (until 2 weeks ago, now I don’t have any more lectures for this module), and also four 2hr seminars throughout the semester, of which we spent 2 seminars watching movies related to the topics and one seminar holding group presentations.

As you can see, not all of the lectures and seminars are held weekly, which also means I do not necessarily have the same schedule every week.


The other thing I would like to mention is the NU grading system. Assignments are marked on a scale from 0-100%. Some of you might think that this is not too differently from grading systems in the US then, right? Wrong! Although it does seem like a similar system at first, it’s a little more complicated here...

First of all, anything below 50% is a fail. However, if you score 40-50, you get the chance to repeat an exam, essay or whatever the assignment might be, but no matter how horrible or excellent this repetition might turn out to be, it will always be marked as 50%. (at least it's better than getting a 0%). Then 50-60% is a pass, 60-70% a merit, and 70-80% is a distinction. 80% and over is very rarely given (none of the CCC professors have ever given anything better than an 85 in their whole careers, and even those were rare exceptions). A piece of work awarded an 80 or above would be considered worth publishing. So in reality, the scale doesn’t go up to 100% but an 80 is almost like a 100 already, and the lecturers told us to not be too disappointed when we get back our first assignment, and to keep that scale in mind.


view from a library window

No comments:

Post a Comment